Free Consultation [X]
Name :
Email :
Age :
Country :
Your Message:
IndianMedGuru | Top Surgeons India| Famous Indian Surgeons IndianMedGuru | Top Surgeons India| Famous Indian Surgeons
Home | About Us | Services | Top Hospital and Clinics | FAQ’s | Contact Us
Why India | Surgeons and Physicians | Medical Treatments | Patient Testimonials

 Related Items

Medical Conditions
Facebook - IndianMedGuruTwitter - IndianMedGuruLinkedin - IndianMedGuru
Youtube - IndianMedGuruGooglePlus - IndianMedGuruPinterest - IndianMedGuru
Tumblr - IndianMedGuruInstagram - IndianMedGuru

Pregnancy Rates of Human Reproduction & ART

Human reproduction is a relatively unreliable process. In the average fertile couple, the probability of fertilization for any particular exposure of egg to sperm may be approximately 80%. But the probability of a live birth is actually 20% on an average.

Typical Reasons for Failure in Pregnancy

Usually, by the time of the first expected menstrual period after ovulation, approximately one-half of the early embryos usually fail to develop. Many of these lost embryos could be fundamentally abnormal and therefore incapable of survival.

The menstrual period would occur on time, and an early pregnancy could be overlooked. If a menstrual period is missed, approximately one-fourth of the remaining embryos may still die later.

Clinical studies done among population groups who do not use contraception show that the pregnancy rates in these people is a staggering 20%.


In practical terms, if 10 couples get married and try for a child, one or two couples will conceive every month. At the end of one year, nearly 9 out of the 10 couples will have a baby. The couple who failed to conceive 5 to 10 %.

Infertility is not an abnormality but a condition, caused by both male and female reproductive factors. At the same time, Artificial Reproductive Techniques are the answer to treat infertility and these have proven successful all over the world.

Success Rates

ART programs however are man-devised, scientific methods of reproduction and these too have a success threshold. Hence choosing an IVF clinic becomes imminent.


It is unlikely that the rate of establishing a pregnancy from each egg by fertilization and development In Vitro followed by embryo transfer can improve the rate of normal reproduction. Maximum success per egg in any one cycle is likely to be in the 20-30% range. In most experienced IVF programs, rates of ongoing pregnancy have usually been in this range or lower, even though more than one egg is often fertilized and several embryos transferred back into the uterus in most patients.

IVF Rates:

IVF pregnancy rates are one of the most misunderstood aspects of IVF treatment. IVF pregnancy rate statistics can be manipulated to achieve nearly any desired statistical percentage through:

  • Patient selection
  • Treatment selection
  • Cycle cancellation procedures
  • Cycle reclassification
  • Numbers of embryos transferred
  • Transfer
  • Cryopreservation criteria
  • Other variables.

No amount of managing of population data, however helps, and it may adversely effect the care of the individual patient.

Choosing an IVF Clinic

IVF pregnancy rate statistics should never be used as the primary criterion for determining the actual quality of an IVF program. What should be kept in mind are factors like:

  • The total experience
  • Record of innovation
  • Professional reputation of an organization
  • Its history of sensitive caring for patients
  • The absolute integrity of its staff are far more useful guides to program selection.

Successful conception and childbirth for any specific couple cannot be guaranteed by any IVF program, even if the couple undergoes multiple attempts. The probability of success depends on many factors including the patient age, the cause of infertility, and the talent and experience of the IVF team. IVF is of demonstrated value for patients with absence of both fallopian tubes or irreversible tubal blockage (where corrective surgery has either failed or is inadvisable). Patients who are undergoing ART the cumulative pregnancy rate at the end of 4 attempts is in the region of 80%. The remaining 20% of patients can either opt for egg donation or adoption.

Overall the clinical pregnancy rates in good IVF units worldwide is in the region of 20 to 30 % . BabiesandUs Fertility Centre has success rates, which are comparable to the best units in the world.

  Related Items  
  IVF Procedures  
  Cervical Mucus Hostility   
  Coital Failure  
  Detection of Y chromosome microdeletions by PCR  
  Female Infertility  
  FISH on blood, buccal and urine cells for detection of low grade mosaicism  
  Follicular Fluid FISH  
  High blood pressure linked to fertility treatment  
  High Risk Obstetrics  
  Infertility Facts  
  Male Infertility  
  Myths about Infertility  
  Ovulation Problems  
  Ovulatory Disorders  
  Pregnancy Rates of Human Reproduction & ART  
  Production of Sperms  
  Recurrent Pregnancy Loss  
  Sperm apoptosis by TUNEL method  
  Sperm FISH  
  Stages of the surrogacy Program  
  Surrogate Treatment  
  Transport of Sperms  
  Tubal Problems  
  Types of Surrogacy  
  Uterine Problems  
  What is Endometriosis?  
  What is Infertility?  
Bookmark and Share
Pregnancy rates of Human Reproduction ART India, Art India, Artificial Reprodutive Techniques India, Artificial Reproductive Techniques Mumbai India, ART Mumbai India, Cryopreservation Criteria India, Cryopreservation Criteria Mumbai India, IVF Clinic India, IVF Clinic Mumbai India, IVF Experts India, IVF Specialist India
  Cost Comaprisions Articles Press FAQs Medical Videos Medical Tourism Ads
Contact Us
Surgeons In India Doctors In India Brachytherapy India Infertility Treatment India
Best Surgeon in India Leukemia Treatment In India Fibroid Surgery India Lymphoma Treatment In India
Urine Leakage Incontinence Bladder Surgery India Ethics of Pre-Natal Gender Determination Sex Selection India