This is the commonest cause of female infertility.
Common Causes :
- Polycystic Ovaries
- Excess production of the hormone Prolactin.
- Disturbances involving the thyroid gland and the adrenal glands.
- Recent excessive gain or loss of weight
- Severe stress
- Premature menopause which affects 1-2% of women below the age 40 years.
- Age>38-40 yrs
- Lack of hormones released from the pituitary gland or hypothalamus.
- Tumor (growth).
- Ovaries absent from birth, surgically removed, or damaged by radiotherapy/chemotherapy as treatment for cancer.